Monday, October 22, 2012

Perfect Imperfection

I guess when you hear me ramble about how wonderful my children are and how amazing my princess is, you might get the mistaken idea that I have a perfect life. I call it the essence of perfect imperfection.

That simply means that my life and everything about it is SO full of imperfection that to me it is perfect. I don't want to be one of those people who is always smiling and their mental attitude is always up. I enjoy frowning when I'm not pleased with the world. I enjoy savoring my sullen state in my solitude when I feel like it.

I enjoy the pouring rain as much as I enjoy the sunshine. I've probably had as much fun when I was broke as I've ever had when I wasn't. My vacations with my family were just as perfect riding in that old blue Ford van as they would have been in some fancier automobile.

It seems that the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west no matter how bad or how good things in my life are going. The birds still sing, the osprey still fishes. My puppy dogs still run to greet me when I walk in the door no matter how clever or how dull I am.

My kids are great. And I'm sure if you listen to me talk about them you would be positive I had the absolute greatest kids in the world. While that may be fact, you should be aware of their imperfections. 

Their lack of perfection was taught to them by two less than perfect parents. And they have done their best to perfect the art of imperfection. But I really can't imagine three grown young men that have a more balanced and enjoyable, even if less than perfect. life.

So enjoy the dark, it makes the light even brighter. Enjoy the floods, and remember how nice it is going to be when it dries out. Know that when you have a bad day or bad week, that it will get better. The tide will still rise and fall, just as before.

Wherever we are in the world and in life, we can find something to make our imperfect lives a lot more perfect. So enjoy the imperfection - it's just perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment