Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Not All Fun and Frivolity

It may appear that I am not taking a very serious look at all the things in life that tend to cause us pain and suffering. It may even appear that all I'm interested in how much fun I can have. If that's what you think, you're probably right. Remember the philosophy of the hedonist - toward pleasure away from pain.

And I wish that was always possible. I wish we could always go toward pleasure and avoid pain and suffering all together. But that's not the case. There are many more people suffering in poverty, homelessness and sickness than there are those of us who are enjoying our lives. And I truly wish that wasn't the case. But it is.

Will I eventually be one of the sufferers and not one of the ones having all the fun? I'm sure that time will come. A time of sickness and a time of death will affect all of us either indirectly or directly eventually. It's all part of being human.

I hope I won't taste the pangs of hunger, poverty and homelessness. I think I've prepared myself with education and experience to be above that. But since I've never been there I'm not totally sure of what things may happen in life to cause you to fall to those depths. I'm sure there are people experiencing conditions in their life that they never expected and weren't prepared for.

So what can I do amidst all this affliction and anxiety? I'm going to do my best to avoid in it my own life as long as I can. I'm going to continue to look ahead and protect my health as long as I can by being proactive in the things that I do. I will to be reasonable with my finances and again, look and plan ahead always attempting to stay ahead of the curve.

One thing I'm not going to do is enter a great depression of "woe is me". I will maintain a positive attitude and continue to seek out all the pleasure that I can find while I'm able to enjoy it. I will continue to extol the virtues of living freely without being fettered to any doctrinal dogma that confines my activities based on the piety of others. 

I will share with others the joys of this profligacy and hopefully will change a few boring lives along the way.

My self-indulgence has not bounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment