Wednesday, October 24, 2012

In Life There Is No Do Over

I've heard people say they've lived their lives with no regrets. I can't imagine. How can you go through your whole life without doing things you wish you hadn't done and not doing all the things that you wish you had?

I would love to have a "do over" in life. Heck, I might even need several. There seems to be a lot of things I would have done differently if I had known the things I know now.

There are so many things that I wish I had not done. There are just as many things that I wish that I had done. There's a lot of things I wish I never had said. And there are just as many things that I should have said when I was given the chance.

So how can you avoid wanting a do over? Well you can listen to what other, more experienced people tell you. But as I've said many times "where's the fun in that?" I know if I could guide my boys through the mistakes that I made and they don't have to make, it would save them a lot of money and probably heartache. Thank goodness they have listened to me about many things and they are in a much better position at this point in their lives than I was.

So my experienced suggestions for all those that may want to hear them, and surely ignore them:
1 - Choose your mate carefully because once children are brought into the world they need both parents to see them through life.
2 - Study, read and learn all you can while still in school. The education and knowledge you gain in your youth will be what supports you as you age. Prepare now and enjoy the results later.
3 - Enjoy life to the very fullest; you never know when it may end. Break free of the shackles of dogma that may bind you, make your own decisions.

As "old blue eyes" used to sing, "Regrets, I have few . . .but I did it my way".

Do things your way, with the counsel of others with greater experience, and keep the regrets to as few as possible. In life there are no do overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment